Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) at Greythorn

The Governors receive information each year from the SENCo (Mrs Annabel Holmes) about the number of children on the Special Needs Register and their needs, information about ‘provision mapping’ and the training of members of staff, together with updates to the Special Educational Needs Policy.  
The Senior Leadership Team verify school data related to all vulnerable groups to see that needs are appropriately met.  The Head of School’s report at each full governors provides an update on the number of SEND children in the school.
At the end of each year staff attend a transition staff meeting to ensure receiving staff are aware of the needs of their new intake for September.

At Greythorn we aim to enable each child to achieve their full potential. We all work to provide a friendly, stimulating and challenging environment which respects and celebrates individual interests, talents and differences.

What are Special Educational Needs?

A child has Special Educational Needs Disabilities (SEND) if he or she has:

  • A learning difference – a significantly greater difference in learning than the majority of children of the same age, which needs provision that is very individual and cannot be provided through adapted resources. OR a disability which makes it difficult to use education facilities generally provided locally, and if that learning difficulty calls for special educational provision.
  • Special educational provision – provision additional to, or different from, that made generally for children of the same age in local schools

There are a wide range of special educational needs for which children may need extra support. Sometimes these needs are only short term, others may continue through a child’s school life and some children may have a specific diagnosis. The needs generally fall into one or more of the following categories.


Cognition and Learning

Indications may be:

  • Attainment is significantly lower than peers
  • Delayed language development
  • Memory difficulties
  • Limited concentration
  • Difficulties with independent learning


Communication and Interaction

Indications may be:

  • Difficulty making and maintaining social relationships
  • Difficulties in following instructions, routines and maintaining attention to task
  • Tendency to display obsessive behaviours and/or inappropriate language and communication – can result in loss of friends or distracting teaching staff
  • Uneven progress between subject areas due to problems in particular areas

Behaviour, Social and Emotional

Indications may be:

  • Incidents of disruption/ disaffection
  • Additional difficulties in areas of learning and cognition, communication, and or physical/sensory needs
  • Difficulty remaining on task results in frequent disruption
  • Progress below expectations in many areas – often associated with frustration and disaffection
  • Difficulties sustaining appropriate peer relationships
  • Fluctuations to mood and unpredictable attitudes to learning tasks
  • Periods of uncooperative behaviour and withdrawal

Sensory and Physical

Indications may be:

  • A specific disability eg physical disability / hearing or sight loss
  • Has medical needs requiring significant adult intervention
  • Experiences difficulties undertaking some fine / gross motor tasks or working at the same pace as peers
  • Is not able to access classroom materials without modification
  • Exhibits signs of increasing fatigue towards end of day/session
  • May show signs of frustration in classroom/setting
  • May become isolated during lunch/social times



  • Anxiety makes it difficult to make and maintain normal relationships
  • Anxiety means I cannot communicate my feelings and experiences
  • Mood is frequently low, and low self-esteem, affecting my sleep and eating
  • Self-harm or extreme disruption


SEND Terms Explained

What is the Local Offer?

The local offer is the services that are available in Nottinghamshire. More information is available at:


As part of the local offer the Greythorn SEND policy sets out our aims and provisions in more detail.

What is a SENCO?

A Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is a member of staff responsible for keeping an overview of special needs in school.

What is a TA?

A Teaching Assistant who works alongside the class teacher and supports groups of children and individuals to access the curriculum and reach their targets. 

What is a support plan?

A Support Plan is a form of individual passport which summarises strengths and needs; indicates best methods of learning / resources that are useful and sets out small step focused targets which are reviewed 2-3 x per year. At Greythorn it is written as part of a meeting called a ‘review’ meeting.

What is an Educational Psychologist (EP)?

A person trained to make judgements on children’s educational development, usually provided through advice and training for SENCOs and Teachers.

What is a Schools and Families Support Service Teacher? (SFSS)

A specialist teacher who school can ask for advice and help. They work in a number of schools and also offer training to support staff.

Who are the behaviour support team? (RPBP)

A specialist teacher trained to support children who are experiencing behavioural difficulties and give advice to their teachers.

What is the Parent Partnership Scheme?

An organisation which offers support and advice to parents of children with special educational needs.

TEL:  0115 9482888

What is SALT?

Speech And Language Therapy

What is a review?

A meeting during the school day for the parents/carers and sometimes other agencies who support a child with special needs. We discuss progress against meeting support plan targets.

What is an EHCP?

Where children meet the thresholds of having complex and persistent needs, which struggle to be met in a mainstream primary school, parents alongside school can request an assessment into the eligibility for having an Educational and Health Care Plan. This brings together information from education, health and social care. Information about EHCPs can be obtained from school, Parent Partnership or from the local authority.


What is inclusion?

Inclusion means all children, whatever their needs, are welcomed into school, and supported to take an active part in all areas of school life to become integrated member of our school community. Inclusion isn’t providing the SAME for all children, but personalising teaching and provision to meet individual needs.

How do we know who needs help?

Information comes to us in many different ways:

  • from you
  • from pre-school or nursery
  • from Early Years Support Services
  • from staff working with your child
  • from other people working with your child
  • from listening to and observing your child
  • from tests, assessments and tracking systems in school

What does school do to help?

There is a national Code of Practice which helps ensure children have access to a similar system of support whichever school they attend.

Many children may receive help in class through work which matches the way they learn. They will not be classed as having Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). This includes children with Dyslexia / Dyslexic tendencies.

Some children will have extra help from another adult to achieve their in class targets and to make progress.

A few children may benefit from support and advice from other sources and specialists, these children will have a Support Plan and the SENCO keeps a record of these children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

A very small number of children will have exceptional needs that require the school to request support from the West Bridgford Family of Schools or Children and Young People’s Services.

What is the West Bridgford Family of Schools?

West Bridgford Family of schools which includes Greythorn plus: West Bridgford Infants School, West Bridgford Junior School, Jesse Gray Primary School, Heymann Primary and Nursery School and The West Bridgford Secondary School

The SENCO’s share the role of Family SENCO, to attend regional meetings, allocate shared funding, support each other and share training.

Is there any extra funding for special needs children?

There are several ways in which children with special needs are supported.

  • The majority of children’s needs will be met in the normal classroom setting without the need for additional funding.
  • ASN funding (additional school need). Some children will need additional support other than that normally provided by the classroom teacher. The cost of this support comes directly from the schools budget.
  • AFN funding (additional family need). A few children may continue to give concern or may have a specific diagnosis that requires additional help. This funding goes to the family of schools and the SENCO has to put in a bid to the family to access this funding. The bids are moderated and if granted the funding is expected to be supported by funding from the school’s own budget. The help is usually from a TA either 1:1 or shared.
  • HLN funding (higher level need). Occasionally a child may have complex or more severe needs which require more consistent adult support to access the curriculum. This funding has to be applied for through the Local Authority.
  • Medical funding If a child has complex medical needs which require some form of physical intervention (e.g. injection, catheterisation) we may be eligible to access this funding through the Local Authority.


  • The most important help you can give is to BE POSITIVE! Use continual encouragement and praise.
  • Seek support and advice from others in a similar situation.
  • Try to come to all meetings such as reviews and parents’ evenings.
  • Ensure we know any relevant information, such as if your child was born prematurely, has experienced hearing difficulties/ has grommets fitted or has had any long term hospital stays.
  • Tell us as soon as possible if any members of the family have Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia or depression as these may lead to hereditary needs.
  • Make sure school knows about any major changes in your family.
  • Encourage your child with reading, spelling and homework.

Home and school need to work as a team in order for your child to thrive – Keep in touch!

More detailed information on what we offer can be found in the school SEND policy available on the school website.

If you want know more or have any queries or concerns the best way to contact the SENCO Annabel Holmes is via e-mail annabel.holmes@greythorn.notts.sch.uk Alternatively phone the school office and leave a message for me or contact your child’s teacher